PAINT AND CAULKING
Before PG PAINT & DESIGN – Ottawa Painters begins any painting project whether it’s Interior Painting or Exterior Painting, we ensure that all Caulking is still in good condition. We discuss the issues found with the homeowner and upon the green light to go ahead we will repair or replace with fresh new caulking. We ensure the correct paint is applied and in the appropriate way. Caulking is a great sealant especially around window and door frames/trim. It seals any gaps between the wood. If the correct caulk is not applied to the appropriate surface you have caulking failure. For example the silicone type of caulk should not be painted.
Why does Caulking fail
- The wrong type or low quality type of caulk , for example using latex or vinyl caulk in a bathroom or around/near a kitchen sink would cause caulking failure. In this instance you should use a silicone based caulk
- Not prepping the surface area before the caulk application to prepare it for painting
- Applying a thin bead of caulk would not be sufficient to do the job properly.
- Choose the appropriate caulk type for the job/surface
- Follow the directions/instructions. You could ask any of the experts at one of your local hardware type big box stores, an expert at any Benjamin Moore Store or a professional House Painter
- Use good quality caulk for your home improvement project. This will ensure it is the correct one to use on wood, ceramic tile, concrete, glass, brick even in some instances where moisture is apparent or unavoidable.
- Prepare your surface properly before applying any caulking. This requires you to clean the surface, remove any old caulking that has either cracked, peeled or become old. ensure all peeling paint is also removed before any other caulking is applied.
- To give the caulk and paint a good bonding you should most often give it a primer. This way the paint adheres properly to the fresh new caulking. Priming it will also avoid it from improper drying and poor performance after paint is applied.
For any other professional painter tips and advice feel free to scroll through some of our other blog posts regarding house painting services. You can always reach us by a *Call or Email * PG PAINT & DESIGN – Ottawa House Painters to schedule your Interior and Exterior home painting project. With 30 years of experience in the home paint industry and drywall repairs and more, we can ensure you get the quality paint finish you are looking for with guaranteed results. For more on our Ottawa Painting Company visit our website Ottawa House Painters
Join us on all Social Pages